Any house move, whether it’s down the street or across the globe, is an incredibly challenging and stressful time. It’s not just a matter of throwing some things in the back of the van and picking up a set of keys – you have to uproot your entire life and transfer it to somewhere else.
In light of the challenges that such an upheaval presents, it’s important that you have experienced people at your disposal that can help make the entire process as easy and stress-free as possible.
Kent has been moving Australians down the street and across the globe for over 70 years. During that time we’ve moved over a million people and gained a reputation as leaders in the removals and storage industry.
That’s how we know what it takes to be an excellent moving company; the type of moving company that can give their clients confidence in knowing that their treasures will be cared for and arrive at their destination intact. Here is our guide to finding the right moving company.
Things you deserve from a moving company:
- You deserve a mover that cares about your belongings, cares about you and goes that extra mile to ensure you get the service you want. The right moving company will be attentive to your every need – if you want your couch placed exactly 2.2 metres from your TV, they’ll get the tape measure out.
- You deserve a direct and open line of communication with the moving company. All of your queries, requests, concerns, amendments and cancellations should be responded to promptly. The right moving company will have effective lines of communication, with you and throughout the company.
- You deserve to have your treasures taken care of by expert staff that have received the highest levels of training and are able to deliver quality service consistently.
Questions you should ask:
So, we’ve established the things you deserve from your moving company, but how can you tell if the moving company you’ve chosen can provide these things? Well, the best way is by asking them the following questions:
- Do they have the appropriate licenses and accreditations? Can your removalist prove that all relevant third parties have approved their procedures and processes? You should ask if they’re accredited by AIMI, FAIM and FIDI industry bodies, as well as whether they have ISO certifications covering Occupational Health and Safety and Quality Assurance.
- Do they have a range of payment options? Or do they only accept cash? If your mover only accepts cash, you should try looking elsewhere. Paying in cash doesn’t offer you the type of evidence of payment that other options do, and if something goes wrong you could be up for a big loss.
- Are their removalists trained? You don’t want a bunch of untrained, walk-ins looking after your valuables. You need a removal team who have been trained and are passionate about providing an excellent service. It’s always a good sign to see your removalists wearing a full company uniform. If they turn up in casual clothes, you could be dealing with a company that uses untrained subcontractors, rather than highly trained employees.
- Do they provide workers compensation and public liability insurance? These are both non-negotiables. If the moving company you choose doesn’t hold these insurances, then walk away. A company that cares about it’s employees is more likely to care about you and you want to make sure that you and other members of the public are protected if an accident or injury occurs during the move.
- Do they provide flexible insurance options? There is a chance your home and contents insurance won’t cover any damages incurred during transit. The right moving company will provide you with a set of comprehensive insurance options to ensure that you can obtain compensation in the event that your valuables are damaged.
- Do they have a cancellation policy? Life is unpredictable; there is always the possibility that some unforeseen event could force you to cancel your move. Make sure that you have chosen a removalist that has a reasonable cancellation policy.
- Can they provide other services, such as packing, storage and pet transport? On moving day you might decide that it’s just too hard to fit your pet dog into the car, or you may get a week out from the move and realise you haven’t even started packing. If you engage the services of a removalist that can provide additional services such as professional packing and ancillary services, it will make your life a lot easier.
- Do they provide free moving quotes and in-home visits? A company that is willing to give the best possible value and a superior service will be willing to provide a free quote that is based on a home visit. This also means there is less risk of price blow-outs and delays due to a lack of resources on moving day.
If you find a moving company that satisfies all of these requirements, you can be certain that you have found the right company to undertake the task of relocating your family and all your treasures.