There’s nothing as exciting (or as stressful!) as building a new home. Building a new home represents the start of a new chapter. Whether you’re looking to start an investment portfolio or you’re creating your own dream house, a big part of your decision will be your choice of where to build. Aside from budget, finding the ultimate neighbourhood is one of the trickier parts for most people and should be determined by your desired lifestyle.
If your ‘happy place’ is by the beach, then looking for a coastal development will be a high priority. Those that work in the city may desire being as close to the CBD as possible, so don’t forget to consider transport accessibility. Perth and surrounding suburbs have new homes popping up every day. Complete with booming locations and land developments to suit all walks of life, it’s only getting easier to find the suburb of your dreams.
North: Eden Beach
For those wanting the relaxed beach lifestyle, Eden Beach in the northern suburbs is the place to be. Boasting the best of WA’s coastal living, this particular estate is just 40kms from the CBD. The biggest advantage for building in Eden Beach is value for money. Homeowners can expect to get premium beachside living at a fraction of the price, in comparison to other coastal areas like Scarborough and Mullaloo.
Due to its desirable location, Eden Beach estate (Jindalee) is a big hotspot for new home buyers. The estate gives home buyers direct access to the beach, landscaped parks, BBQ and picnic areas, cafés, schools and shopping centres including speciality stores at Brighton town centre (5 min from Eden Beach estate).
- Walking distance to beach with 5km area of swimming space.
- Affordable house and land packages to suit first home buyers and investors.
- Convenient location: 35 minutes to Perth CBD, 5 minutes to Butler train station and 15 minutes to Joondalup town centre.
- Large houses with innovative designs – most are 4 bedrooms, 2 baths with balconies.
- 35+ minute commute to work can be too far for some home buyers.
- The estate is still under development so isn’t as high profiled as other beach locations like Scarborough and Mullaloo.
- As the estate is brand new, the primary school won’t be opening until 2020.
South: Austin Lakes
Ideal for first home buyers or young families, Austin Lakes in South Yunderup is designed to give you and your children the life you’ve been dreaming of. A modern estate that’s located south of the CBD, Austin Lakes is just 10 minutes from Mandurah. It offers homeowners that love the south side a cost-effective lifestyle complete with beach living and a $3.5m adventure playground to keep kids thoroughly entertained. Staying true to its name, the new development boasts a 1.4km man-made lake surrounded by fully landscaped parks.
- Attractive lifestyle location just 5 minutes from Pinjarra, 10 minutes from Mandurah and 45 minutes from Perth CBD.
- Adventurescape Park will be one of Australia’s best playgrounds for kids with a 4-hectare playground, 2-hectare lake, farm-themed play equipment, BBQs and shaded pavilion areas for picnics. The $3.5m playground will develop further over time with a skate park, oval and multi-court still to come.
- Big plans for the estate in the future with public schools, walking trails and a village centre proposed.
- Strong focus on fun, family and community.
- This new development won’t be finished until 2024 so much of the infrastructure is still in the making.
- Very child oriented environment, so may not suit homeowners with lifestyles that aren’t in line with this.
Image: Satterley Property Group
North: Burns Beach
Coastal living enthusiasts can get a dose of beach-front homes at Burns Beach estate. Renowned for its beautiful beaches, picturesque parklands and relaxed vibe, this sought out location has house and land packages ideal for the first home buyer, young family, professionals or investors. It’s one of the more affordable beach side locations that’s closest to the city, making it a popular option for those that don’t want to travel too far.
- Premium coastal lifestyle for an affordable price ($385,000+) with direct beach access. Burns Beach is one of the closest coastal communities to the CBD.
- Easier commute to the city (30 minutes), 10 minutes from Joondalup and Mindarie Marina with easy access to transport via Currambine and Clarkson train stations.
- Great selection of already established state and private schools, study colleges and major hospitals and healthcare facilities.
- Beachside living still can come at a hefty price with the premium house and land packages reaching up to $975,000.
- As Burns Beach is a booming coastal location close to CBD, the market demand is very high so expect a bit of competition with other home buyers.
South: Meadow Springs
They say the south side offers some of Perth’s best scenery and Meadow Springs is no exception. With a host of lush parklands, regional playing fields and large open spaces, this new development is perfect for families wanting all the best lifestyle features.
With Mandurah city centre just 5 minutes away, the location is close to the freeway access and public transport for an easy commute. Shopping centre facilities have also been developed with a growing primary school, San Remo beach nearby and Quarry Adventure Park, perfect options for family outings.
- 36-hectares of public open space and 25 landscaped parks.
- Excellent location for south of the river residents with great access to public transport.
- Golf course views and beautiful estate lifestyle with natural bushland and green scenery.
- Affordable living with 3 bedroom homes starting at $360,000 and 4 bedroom homes from $418,250.
- Like Burns Beach, Meadow Springs is a popular booming location that has a very high market demand.
- The development is still underway so various facilities may be some time away.
- Meadow Springs is 60 minutes from Perth CBD which may be too far to travel for homeowners working in the city.
North: Beaumaris Beach
Boasting a foreshore reserve that looks over the ocean, Beaumaris Beach is an impressive and well-established development. Close to Ocean Reef, Joondalup and Kinross, the location has easy beach access and walking and cycle paths from the beach to Hillarys. Crowned one of Western Australia’s most attractive beachside communities, Beaumaris Beach is surrounded by beach boardwalks, excellent schools and prestige homes.
- Close to study institutes, private and public schools, Joondalup shopping centre (10 minutes) and medical facilities.
- Beachside living to appreciate WA’s great outdoors at an affordable price.
- Premium coastal homes close to CBD.
- Limited releases each year so buyers interested in the area need to have their finger on the pulse.
- As the location is in high demand, the medium house price has gone up with 4 bedroom homes around the $881,250 mark.
Before settling on one of these estates to build or buy your new home in, use these four methods to help determine whether the suburb is the right fit for you.