"A strange town"
Meh it's overated and very expensive. It has flat geography, oddly Captains Flat and Tarago (has nicer buildings and actually got hills/slopes) are much more interesting and you never hear about them.
I see nothing but guys looking like faggots (they dye their hair blue and pink) and the women are ugly and look like horses. All the families remind me of the cast of Modern Family.
People here don't live the country lifestyle. Yet the average Bungendorian would insist their quarter acre picket-fenced "property" with 2 kids, a dog and 9-5 Canberran APS career would insist they're living a rugged stockman lifestyle.......
Not the real country town everybody makes it out to be!
"A town with high diversity."
As a long term resident, I can offer some input.
Generally I have some mixed opinions both good and bad. I'll start with the good.
1. Easy access to Canberra (Though I'm not too fond of Canberra myself).
2. Queanbeyan people aren't snobs like Canberran people. Though a lot of the younger Queanbeyanites have picked up on some Canberran habits.
3. It has a reptile shop (forgot the name) and the Tourist Hotel.
4. People say good day to each other in the street (mostly older men over 40 though. Women and younger men ignore you).
5. You can wear anything and almost no one will judge.
6. In some neighborhoods (only the ones with high Mediterranean demographic), the people will try to help each other out.
Now the negatives
1. Buses are expensive for a town that's considered "low-socioeconomic".
2. Why is it that the average women in this town are taller than 175cm? Like what the f! I very rarely see chicks shorter than 155cm around here.... Seriously are the petite girls getting deported in droves and dropped off outside the QPRC border?
3. Seems to be a lot of drugged up hippie guys that walk around barefoot and shirtless.
4. People playing retarded music in front of Woolworths.
5. Some parts like Riverside Plaza/Monaro Street, Karabar and Letchworth can be rough. On the other side of the spectrum you've got Jerrabomberra that would rival Mosman in snobbishness.
6. Queanbeyan seems to be a far-left town (albeit an isolated one in the area. Most of Canberra is generally centre while Bungendore/Yass tend to be more right). If your not a radical Greenie or feminist then you would be out of place.
"A nice to place to be"
Katoomba is an amazing and wonderful place.
Who lives here?
"A great little village"
One of the best villages around. Always had a great meal at The Loaded Dog and the residents seem friendly and nice. The house prices seem cheap but I think that's only because it's far away from the major centers like the Coast, Canberra, Queanbeyan, Goulburn etc etc
Would live here if commuting wasn't an issue.
- Loaded Dog Hotel
- Friendly People
Not great for
- Distance from major centres
Who lives here?
- Families with kids
- Country Lovers
"A community full of the rudest people in Canberra!"
Belconnen is no doubt the worst and mean spirited places I've ever been to.
Been beeped at here more than anywhere else, yelled at for no reason, a lot of the people look angry, people acting in a brash manner etc etc... Hell even a shop keeper and a cleaner have yelled at me for little provocation..... Never happened in Queanbo, Southern Highlands, Sydney, Newcastle, other parts of Canberra or anywhere else for that matter. Sorry but I am over the typical "I'm Angry At You For No Reason" mentality of you Belco lot. Please take some anger management courses. Never again!
Not great for
- Stuck up