I've read bad reviews about Reservoir. Someone who lives there could give me an opinion? Thanks

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.
19 people following
this question

11 Answers

brentb3 Feb 08, 2017
I have lived in Reservoir North for the last 10 years, between Massey Ave and Radford Rd. I could not be happier with the area, neighbours are friendly, no townhouse developments. Only problem I can see with people moving to the area would be the house prices, one around the corner from me sold for $895,000 and it needed to be renovated!!!
Jordan2013 Jul 30, 2016
Lived in reservoir for some time. Great place to live...it's starting to get hard for families to get in due to the increase in property costs. A lot planned in the 2020 strategy...
PaolaR May 09, 2016
Don't like Reservoir. Do not feel safe at all for myself & my family & have been living here since Jan 2015. No community spirit. No one seems to care about their fellow neighbour. Traffic is terrible, made worse by having that train line clogging all the traffic. Shopping isn't any good. Local Coles are inept at stocking their shelves & not a very good choice. No police presence. Even the police were rude to my husband when we had a would-be theif hiding in our front yard one night! When we buy our own home it won't be in this suburb I can assure you.
Jordan2013
Jordan2013 Disagree. You may have had an unpleasant experience but Reservoir is going through a phase which Northcote, Thornbury & Preston went through over the last 10 years. Those suburbs are now untouchable. Reservoir is currently in the middle of the next suburb out and it's now time to get in before it's too late. A Multi million dollar reservoir train station upgrade has been budgeted for, the ring rd connection to East link budgeted for, Broadway is finally getting a face lift, new swimming complex, cafes, bars, library, community centre & not to mention the central creek estate - houses over the 1mil mark....yes you'll get scum bags in every area but don't miss the opportunity!
May 09, 2016
PaolaR
PaolaR It will take more than 10 yrs to fix Reservoir. Many suburbs in the Western Sydney area have taken a good 20 years to come good & those suburbs were very much like what Reservoir is now.
We haven't had just the one bad experience here, there have been others. The bus system here isn't good either. For my daughter to get transport to school, it will take her 1 hour, & she goes to Reservoir High. By car it's 15 minutes but putting up with the train-line is very frustrating in itself. Hoons at night don't want me want to stay here at all....I can go on. Those reading will get my honest picture. I've said what's fact right now & will not be hanging around to see if anything changes.
May 13, 2016
Jordan2013
Jordan2013 Your honesty is appreciated but for those considering Reservoir I can say that I have never experienced this - although Some streets or pockets could be worse than others. I forgot to mention the tram line from Regent is continuing through Edward st to Reservoir Station. For the transport - I couldn't speak highly enough Trams, buses, 3 train stations & one soon to be upgraded. I have lived in auburn, Western Sydney for 2 years & you can't compare the west of Sydney with the North of Melb. They are both unique in there own ways. Reservoir is an inner suburb & 10kms from the CBD.
May 13, 2016
PenK
PenK PaolaR, I have lived in Reservoir for over 20 years now and love the place. I shop at the local Coles have no problem filling up my trolley. Reservoir is nothing like the Western Suburbs of Sydney and your comparison is ignorant. I visit Western Sydney for work on a regular basis and I can tell you that the traffic there is more chaotic than Reservoir's level crossing. I won't comment on the demographic differences between the two but Reservoir wins hands down. Reservoir has excellent public transport and Infrastructure, the area is vast in size and very well serviced. I don't know whereabouts in Reservoir you live, but Reservoir High School is no where near a train line. The school is serviced by buses and a tram. In terms of safety, Reservoir is as safe as houses. There are many young families and young professionals moving in to the area who have been priced out of the inner north. The fact that prices have boomed in the last two years is indicative of its popularity. I have many friends and family members who wished they had bought into the area when I did. They settled for further north and are battling bumper to bumper congestion along Plenty Rd and High St. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I can only tell of mine. I have no Hoons keeping me up at night, it takes my children 15 minutes by Bus to get to school, it takes me 25-30 minutes by train to get into the CBD. Without a car I can access shopping and banking facilities, get a coffee at a local cafe, walk/ride to a park and feel safe doing so. For those wanting to live in Reservoir best get in now before its too late.
Jun 28, 2016
Sweet Roses
Sweet Roses Would someone like to share areas or streets to avoid?
Aug 10, 2016
MohammadH
MohammadH When you buy your own home you probably won't be able to afford Reservoir
Aug 23, 2016
Add a comment...
Ive lived in Reservoir and I serviced the area for 10 years. It has changed quite dramatically in this time. There are lots of parks, shops and easy access to transport from most pockets. It is one of the largest suburbs in Metro Melbourne and has a lot to offer. I would suggest when looking where to purchase or rent you do a drive around the area and maybe meet some of the neighbours. If you would like to discuss my favourite pockets to live and why give me a call 0403510286
ericy
ericy What areas/streets should be avoided? Between Plenty Road and Albert Street, is this any safer?
Oct 21, 2016
Scott Conboy 2yrs+
I don't live there, but i did spend all my school days in and around reservoir, there are some great pockets, suggest do some homework on where exactly in reservoir you may like to live.
bobt5 Dec 20, 2016
Reservoir can be broken down to 2 areas.

North West, around Edwards Lake, is great, low crime, good neighbours.

Around Albert Road, its still full of government housing, lots of poverty, crime and drugs. Avoid at all cost.
dawnh1
dawnh1 Hello. What about the area in between these two please. Purineun Road and Miranda Road. Many thanks!
May 11, 2017
mickb4
mickb4 I think your area is lovely, safe and quite, as is my area, that being the oak hill estate, I've been here 44 years and I love it, ummm, I don't have much to do with my neighbours, I am busy with my own family and life
Aug 28, 2017
DaveM3 Jul 26, 2016
I live in Reservoir. Its a great place to live but it is changing, and it will not be nice for too much longer.

Beautiful well established character homes are being replaced with ugly developments left right and center. The council does not adhere to its character statement in any way, and just keeps approving cheap and ugly "modern" units. Which is a shame.
SunilKumarN Feb 09, 2016
I am impressed with the reservoir north area on colthur street near edward lake. its safe and affordable and easy access to all the features of reservoir . Good gellibrand crescent kinder school and Early journey child care for kids and good bus facilities to reach railway station or tram station also. Just 2 kms for both train or tram by walk. Nice people around and no crime at all from last one year during my stay period. One best part is in last one year our house price with 330 sq mtrs has raised by $80k in value. Good for first investment i am not going or moving away from Reservoir. Renting also is easy and in demand in this Area.
Jordan2013 2yrs+
Demographics are changing - young professionals with families are moving in. I've heard a lot about the new Central creek estate, pocket of Reservoir booming. House sold just before Xmas for 950k.
JanTully 2yrs+
I have lived in Reservoir for 10 years, and while planning to down-size I am not planning on leaving Reservoir. It has everything you could possible need :-)
Jordy Dorris 2yrs+
The value of homes in the area are steadily climbing. The demographic of people buying and renting in the area is improving accordingly. Many old commission areas are being renovated and given a face-lift improving the overall image. There are plenty of schools & parks in the area and services such as; the South Morang train line (in or, bordering zone 1), Latrobe University, RMIT, Preston Market, And Northlands Shopping center are all major features in reach of residents. The metropolitan ring road runs along the north boundary of Reservoir and offers easy negotiation to the rest of the city as well as a quick exit for the weekend getaways.

Your answer