Residential suburbs of Toowoomba?

My family and I are relocating to Toowoomba from the US and are clueless about the area. We have a young toddler, and are looking for good family friendly suburbs with other young families. We will be renting, and cost isn't really an issue... Any tips would be great!
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.
13 people following
this question

10 Answers

Vanessa 2yrs+
Middleridge, Mt Lofty and Rangeville arent bad. Avoid anything on the North / North West side of town ie Harlaxton, Wilsonton, Rockville, Newtown etc as they are cheap neighbourhoods, lots of public housing, with high crime and have terrible problems with drug and alcohol.
3 votes
RonnyK
RonnyK Don't be fooled - crime, drugs and alcohol are in every suburb of Toowoomba.
Vanessa
Vanessa Ha RonnyK, I'm speaking from experience having lived and worked in most areas of Toowoomba, and frankly you couldn't pay me enough to live in ANY of the suburbs in Toowoomba anymore.
Ally Roberts
Ally Roberts yes crime is everywhere now
joshd4 The east side is terrible now
jan23 Apr 26, 2019
If you dont have to move to Toowoomba , go somewhere else. Been here 4 years biggest mistake ever, and being retired and having lost a heap of money as the value of our home continues to drop we are struggling to find a way to escape. Toowoomba use to be a beautiful place to live, but now old homes on large blocks of land are being split in to tiny units , outer areas like Highfields, where there are many acreage homes again are seeing sell offs and blocks being split. New comers are not made welcome, road manners dont exist. If you have to come here look for a home close to toowoomba boys grammar, and East toowoomba, only nice areas left. Oh and yes crime is becoming a huge issue even in the more rural areas, car theft, break and enter, lock EVERYTHING. Good luck
2 votes
Ally Roberts
Ally Roberts so true, wish I could afford to move away and take my grown up kids with me. I don't bother trying to join churches or social groups any more as it is not worth the effort. I prefer my own company and am on tenterhooks all the time with the foul attitudes of other drivers and the high crime rate. Not what I expected when I moved here, at ALL!!!!!!!!!
johnd70 Same
IamIan 2yrs+
Hi, My name is Ian. I lived in Toowoomba for several years and have a 20 year association with the town. I am also a former Toowoomba Real Estate Agent so believe I know the area very well. No offence to any areas in Toowoomba however as a general rule I would say anywhere east of Hume Street & south of James Street is what other families such as yourself have decided to live. This is also where my family lived (including our toddler) whilst in Toowoomba. Suburbs such as Centenary Heights, East Toowoomba, Rangeville (older areas) and Middle Ridge (newer area) are in close to numerous parks, shops, very good schools and offer easy access to the city centre and to get to Brisbane. They historically have a very low crime rate and are fanily friendly areas. I would highly recommend Go Gecko, Century 21, Raine & Horne or RE/MAX as an agency to contact about Rental Properties. Go Gecko is a smaller office so you should get very good service from them. All age very good though. Rental costs in those areas range from $300 to $450 for a 3-4 bedroom home depending on age and features. I hope that helps. All the best with your journey over. Ian
2 votes
hz
hz Crime rate has been on the rate in these areas from the past 2 or so years
jan23
jan23 we never for one second thought that living just out of town we would have to lock and bolt everything. It really is very sad compared to the old Toowoomba we use to know.
hz
hz My parents lived here and apparantly toowoomba in the 90s was even worse with tones of gangs and crime rate really high.
joshd4 Jul 15, 2019
The East side of Toowoomba is probably the highest area in crime spikes. The graffiti here is just crazy and the amount of burglaries and kids just drinking and smashing bottles on the road doesn't help add to it. The drivers are also terrible. I had two really close calls nearly getting t boned once and another car nearly ran me over.
jan23 May 28, 2019
Yep have to agree, We have family who opened a business 20 minuets out of town. They constantly get asked to "deliver" for FREE and when they explain they cant they get told too far for them to drive so if they dont deliver free they wont bother. They too are now selling up and getting as far away as possible.
carol-leer May 28, 2019
I have to agree with the negatives. Toowoomba is a small racist, white Christian town hell bent on making anyone who looks like an outsider, a target. I mean the mosque here has been burnt down twice. I often get told to go back to where I come from, which is NZ. Get told my husband has stolen somones job (we came from NZ to build bridges they didnt have enough qualified people for). I get followed around most shops in grand central. I have even been called the N word.

Most people of colour have been driven out of the main town even aboriginals. Everyone has a bad opinion and look down on you if you do not fit the elite.

I have made friends through my husbands job all of whom have come for the work and they all agree. Job is almost over and I can not wait to be gone. Steer clear
carol-leer
carol-leer Oh and crime is next to none compared to anywhere else I have lived. People who live here consider picking a flower from someone's yard an punishible offence.
May 28, 2019
Ally Roberts Amen to that
jan23
jan23 shall we talk about the hospital ! 6 beds in 1 ward of MIXED ages and genders. With 1 shower/toilet and if you are in the shower and some one needs the toilet the nurse - unlocks the doors and asks you to pull the curtain so the other person can use the toilet which also has a curtain. Sorry I dont think this is acceptable .
joshd4
joshd4 Carol-leer Man crime is not next to none. Toowoomba is the car theft hotspot for all of Queensland let alone the amount of drugs here.
Jul 09, 2019
johnd70
johnd70 Bro the ethnic population is rising like crazy. I've heard from many sources that Toowoomba is the most multi cultural place by ratios in Australia. About half the people I see at Grand Central are even white
JonB 2yrs+
If Toowoomba was a coastal town, the range (East) would be the beach. The closer you are to the beach the better.
Tess
Tess I see that most of these comments were made 3 years ago, so thought I would give a bit of an update. Bypass has been approved and construction is in the early stages with completion due around mid 2018. This will remove a great many heavy vehicles from town. The new $500 million shopping center in the center of town is due for completion at the end of 2016, the new library is now complete. There are still "tired" areas of town mainly Ruthven Street but that may change when the new shopping center across the road opens. The old railway yards are being redeveloped into parkland and the old mill next to the railway yards will become upmarket apartments with there own market. Old areas are starting to change, in particular New Town, where many homes are being redevelped. Harlexton is still not the best suburb in the town but maybe it will eventually improve. Wilsonton shopping center is being redeveloped and a Kmart added so expect to see that area start to improve. The new Well Camp airport is up and running with direct flights to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns and some inand towns and more to be added.
Highfields is now the second fastest growing suburb in Qld, With a mix of homes on larger blocks and the new avenues estate being started with will add a mix of housing styles. Highfields has 2 nice small shopping centers and is just 15 minuets from the CBD. If you want a little more room then Meringandan and Merinandan West are worth looking at . Many homes on 1/2 or 1 acre blocks and just 7km from Highfields. A new estate Sovereign Rise estate is about to be started again with 1/2 to 1 acre blocks off Willis Road Meringandan West. On the other side of Toowoomba Drayton is another nice area to give some thought to. Over all Toowoomba is slowly waking up, the new airport and Range Bypass are bringing lots of work oppertunities, in fact Toowoomba has one of the lowest rates of unemployment in Qld.
joshd4
joshd4 Well now even the East side spins infested with crime. I've been living here for a while now and I hear kids speeding up the street on motorbikes at 2 in the morning. People from across the street just yell, blast music , smash bottles and drink all night really loudly. Graffiti is a huge growing problem too.
Jul 09, 2019
johnd70 The East side is like a no go zone now
mattm28 Aug 14, 2019
I've lived in Toowoomba for over 25 years (Harristown, Middle Ridge, Centenary Heights, East Toowoomba). My wife and I are 3/4's of the way of raising a family here. We love it. The friendly, big-country-town/small-city feel has the best of both worlds. It is a beautiful place visually and culturally.

As far as the economy goes, published figures have the Toowoomba region as one of the highest performers in the country on many fronts. We experienced this recently ourselves when we moved house after 15 years in East Toowoomba and doubled our money.

Obviously every city has its exceptions where some individuals don't live by good standards, but generally it is a safe city where children can play in their neighbours and people recreate and work together well. I even know of one family who doesn't bother to lock their doors (ever). Some of the comments I note on this page already regarding crime must be very specific to their own circumstances as this is not representative of the reality of the majority.

As far as where to live in Toowoomba. Basically, the purchase price of a house is a good representation of more sought-after areas. The more you can afford, the flasher the neighbourhood. Except for the odd poor investment, I've never heard of anyone losing money on a house. I don't know anything about the renting market.

I hope this is a help and you find somewhere that suits you. All the best!
johnd70 Jul 15, 2019
I have to say like the others, the East end is just terrible now. Bad neighbors, high crime, high drugs, burglaries, car jackings, graffiti and crazy kids. If you just see a kid or two walking around in hoodies after dark you know there sketchy and up to something.
jan23 Apr 26, 2019
Also be aware we have a Council that is very much in favour of bringing in refugees who dont always assimilate .

Your answer