Best suburbs for a university student in Melbourne?

Hi everyone! My name is Jess and i'll be moving interstate to Melbourne soon (from NSW) and I know next to nothing about Melbourne suburbs besides some basic info skimmed online. I am looking for somewhere reasonably affordable (Cliche struggling uni student) and understand that this means I might have to be a bit further away from the CBD. I'm fine with travelling, maybe an hour and a half to get to uni on public transport would be my limit. I'm looking for a relatively safe suburb with good access to public transport (won't have a car). Greenery and cafes/shops are a big plus but not totally necessary. Thanks for any advice!
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.
2 people following
this question

1 Answer

amanda81 Dec 24, 2018
Caulfield is a good option near Monash Uni with tram and train access. Stay on the eastern suburbs side ideally or inner northern suburbs if you have to. Hawthorn is also popular with uni students and has plenty of nearby transport. Cheltenham is also further out but is near the train line and will get you to the CBD in 35-40mins. Cheltenham is also likely more affordable then the others and is near the beach!
1 vote