Worst suburbs in Melbourne?

I have some friends looking to relocate from overseas and they asked what suburbs they should avoid. I said we really don't have ghettos like they might in parts of the USA, that most suburbs are safe compared to overseas.

Any places you would avoid?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.
20 people following
this discussion

17 Comments

jotoma 2yrs+
Not sure why but Dandenong always seems to get a mention. High unemployment, high crime.
PureKrome 2yrs+
First thought -> western suburbs I'd def avoid.

- St Albans
- Keilor Downs
- Taylors Lakes
- Hoppers Crossing
- Werribee

Switching to the south east...
- Frankstone
- Frankstone South
- Cranbourne....

also .. any places at the end of the train lines, IMO.
KasiaB 2yrs+
Frankston* ;) its not that bad up the hill ... Just don't go to the shops or train station
Northern suburbs try to avoid:
Heidelberg Heights, Heidelberg West, Reservoir, Preston, Richmond, Glenroy, Broadmedows
dankestb 2yrs+
St Kilda
ss4 2yrs+
I live in Caroline Springs.. We have had issues of late, and have been in the news a bit Unfortunately, but really it's a beautiful suburb. The trouble we've had here has been from teens from other suburbs meeting around here. And because the media caught onto it a few times, they have targeted it.. crime is happening in so many other suburbs as well but the attention is on us at the moment.
Caroline Springs has beautiful parks and lakes and gathering places. A number of amazing restaurants, gyms, high rise apartments and a shopping centre that's growing as we speak. The houses are lovely and the council do a great job keeping looking lush and clean. I would certainly recommend it for families. The schools in the area are fabulous and there are quite a few to choose from. Churches of all kinds. I think it's very multicultural and accepting. A little bit pricey but definitely worth it.
vickeym 2yrs+
Dear PureKrome,... your first thought for today. DO NOT PUT DOWN SUBURBS in any area as clearly, you have NO IDEA…

I reside in Caroline Springs and do so with absolute pride and choice. I easily can afford to live in TOORAK with my money, not the banks, but this would never make me happy as my family are close by to my home.

My house is MORTGAGE FREE and it cost me over 1.9 Million to BUILD never mind the land. I have been stopped in my front yard and have had constant compliments on my home from strangers and some stupid people even tell me the house is too good for the area. THIS IS SO RUDE

I am not one boast however, I own MORTGAGE FREE 13 properties combined in the commercial residential and holiday letting sector.
The properties I own are located in some of the most sought-after areas in Melbourne, Gold Coast and Geelong.

My next door neighbour owns 15 commercial properties again MORTGAGE FREE
To tell people to keep away from suburbs which are not only beautiful to live in with such fruitful diversity in culture and people from all walks of life… is wrong.
You should advise people to live in areas which they can AFFORD.

I am a wealthy WESTERN SUBURBS Caroline Springs home owner MORTGAGE FREE that a good place to be…..
amanda81 Dec 11, 2018
Fortunately Frankston has improved to some extent. This is mostly because migrants moving into the area. Frankston South also has really good schools and has a great reputation overall. Really lovely and expensive area. It's like all the crime has moved inland and out of the bayside suburb of Frankston into Dandenong, Hallam and Hampton Park. The western suburbs are worst with a lower socio-economic population. Frankston has seen a substantial increase in rents and property prices so a lot of people have been pushed out of the area.
gregw23 Mar 24, 2019
Like Melbourne it’s a great place to get off tap then go home to south Australia
peterm80 May 23, 2019
franston
sammyx Jul 22, 2019
Mentone 🤬
billyd3 Oct 07, 2019
I would definetly think that the areas near the Melbourne Airport are not that safe such as Keillor, Calder Park, Taylor’s Lakes, Broadmeadows, Craigeburne, and Bulla. Just a general opinion since they are pretty rough with crime, gangs unemployment ghettos and lots of bogans.
davidd32 Jun 11, 2020
@billy3d

If you can't spell the suburb name you haven't been to it. The West has always had a bad reputation. At times it may be true but the East also has similar suburbs. You say Sunshine I raise you Springvale and even Box Hill, you say Broadmeadows I raise you Dandenong. You say Craigieburn and I'll raise you Cranbourne. We could do this all day. The truth is unless you live in a multimillion dollar home suburb like Toorak and Brighton there is good and bad everywhere. But none so bad that you will feel unsafe.
davidd32 Jun 28, 2020
@tw4

As someone in denial, living in one of those terrible crime prone suburbs, I just want to point out it's site (as in a place like on the web) not sight as in vision. And it's then (as in following on) not than as in when making a comparison.

I can understand though how being so relaxed, in your lofty suburb, could lead you into complacency.
davidd32 Jun 28, 2020
@tw4

Not at all. Definitely not about spelling. You spelt the words in question perfectly you just didn't know their meaning so you used them incorrectly.

My point is clear, and responds to your concern, if you can read between the lines.
josephb9 Jul 19, 2020
As a born and bred western suburbs person I would say Keilor, Niddrie, Essendon, Strathmore are all fine and safe family friendly areas
davida51 Sep 30, 2020