Worst suburbs in Melbourne?

I have some friends looking to relocate from overseas and they asked what suburbs they should avoid. I said we really don't have ghettos like they might in parts of the USA, that most suburbs are safe compared to overseas.

Any places you would avoid?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.Report
people following this discussion

34 Comments

Not sure why but Dandenong always seems to get a mention. High unemployment, high crime.

First thought -> western suburbs I'd def avoid.

- St Albans
- Keilor Downs
- Taylors Lakes
- Hoppers Crossing
- Werribee

Switching to the south east...
- Frankstone
- Frankstone South
- Cranbourne....

also .. any places at the end of the train lines, IMO.

Frankston* ;) its not that bad up the hill ... Just don't go to the shops or train station

Northern suburbs try to avoid:
Heidelberg Heights, Heidelberg West, Reservoir, Preston, Richmond, Glenroy, Broadmedows

St Kilda

I live in Caroline Springs.. We have had issues of late, and have been in the news a bit Unfortunately, but really it's a beautiful suburb. The trouble we've had here has been from teens from other suburbs meeting around here. And because the media caught onto it a few times, they have targeted it.. crime is happening in so many other suburbs as well but the attention is on us at the moment.
Caroline Springs has beautiful parks and lakes and gathering places. A number of amazing restaurants, gyms, high rise apartments and a shopping centre that's growing as we speak. The houses are lovely and the council do a great job keeping looking lush and clean. I would certainly recommend it for families. The schools in the area are fabulous and there are quite a few to choose from. Churches of all kinds. I think it's very multicultural and accepting. A little bit pricey but definitely worth it.

Dear PureKrome,... your first thought for today. DO NOT PUT DOWN SUBURBS in any area as clearly, you have NO IDEA…

I reside in Caroline Springs and do so with absolute pride and choice. I easily can afford to live in TOORAK with my money, not the banks, but this would never make me happy as my family are close by to my home.

My house is MORTGAGE FREE and it cost me over 1.9 Million to BUILD never mind the land. I have been stopped in my front yard and have had constant compliments on my home from strangers and some stupid people even tell me the house is too good for the area. THIS IS SO RUDE

I am not one boast however, I own MORTGAGE FREE 13 properties combined in the commercial residential and holiday letting sector.
The properties I own are located in some of the most sought-after areas in Melbourne, Gold Coast and Geelong.

My next door neighbour owns 15 commercial properties again MORTGAGE FREE
To tell people to keep away from suburbs which are not only beautiful to live in with such fruitful diversity in culture and people from all walks of life… is wrong.
You should advise people to live in areas which they can AFFORD.

I am a wealthy WESTERN SUBURBS Caroline Springs home owner MORTGAGE FREE that a good place to be…..

Fortunately Frankston has improved to some extent. This is mostly because migrants moving into the area. Frankston South also has really good schools and has a great reputation overall. Really lovely and expensive area. It's like all the crime has moved inland and out of the bayside suburb of Frankston into Dandenong, Hallam and Hampton Park. The western suburbs are worst with a lower socio-economic population. Frankston has seen a substantial increase in rents and property prices so a lot of people have been pushed out of the area.

Like Melbourne it’s a great place to get off tap then go home to south Australia

franston

Mentone 🤬

I would definetly think that the areas near the Melbourne Airport are not that safe such as Keillor, Calder Park, Taylor’s Lakes, Broadmeadows, Craigeburne, and Bulla. Just a general opinion since they are pretty rough with crime, gangs unemployment ghettos and lots of bogans.

@billy3d

If you can't spell the suburb name you haven't been to it. The West has always had a bad reputation. At times it may be true but the East also has similar suburbs. You say Sunshine I raise you Springvale and even Box Hill, you say Broadmeadows I raise you Dandenong. You say Craigieburn and I'll raise you Cranbourne. We could do this all day. The truth is unless you live in a multimillion dollar home suburb like Toorak and Brighton there is good and bad everywhere. But none so bad that you will feel unsafe.

@tw4

As someone in denial, living in one of those terrible crime prone suburbs, I just want to point out it's site (as in a place like on the web) not sight as in vision. And it's then (as in following on) not than as in when making a comparison.

I can understand though how being so relaxed, in your lofty suburb, could lead you into complacency.

@tw4

Not at all. Definitely not about spelling. You spelt the words in question perfectly you just didn't know their meaning so you used them incorrectly.

My point is clear, and responds to your concern, if you can read between the lines.

As a born and bred western suburbs person I would say Keilor, Niddrie, Essendon, Strathmore are all fine and safe family friendly areas

Clayton

@Purekome

Lol you are laughable. Assume you have lived in all of those suburbs you have listed. Im sure you are well informed. Don't be a fool.

I am sure every area has its pros and cons. Depends on what you are looking for. Some of the areas you mention have beautiful pockets.

I have friends in Keilor Downs, Taylors Lakes, Caroline Springs and Cranbourne and there are some excellent pockets in each of those areas. I won't comment on the others as I haven't really been there.

Also if you want crime statistics they are easily accessible on the web, and i think you will find some interesting stats that are contrary to what the media portrays in certain areas/councils.

Don't be a sheep and believe everything you read in the media.

tarneit, because of overpopulation and crime, and point cook, the congestion is horrible

I’ve been to a lot of areas in Melbourne but the worst in my opinion would be reservoir Preston Heidelberg West Heidelberg heights broadmeadows coburg camberfield Fitzroy Carlton Collingwood Richmond Frankston Dandenong

Cranbourne
St. Albans
Berwick
Sunshine
Braybrook

I live in Hoppers Crossing, and have done so since 1988. Myself and extended family have had two incidence of stolen property from front yard in all that time. One from a boat back in 95, and one from a car last year. Not bad. Never see crime when out and about. I would recommend Hoppers to anyone, main roads obviously more chance of crime in all areas than estates.

Worst areas In my opinion reservoir has the highest crime rates for stolen cars and I’ve seen a lot of stuff happen around here lots of flats junkies hoodlems housing commission houses every where are some nice parts of reservoir same goes for Preston and heidleberg

bendigo def.

Southeast Melbourne’s crime cluster of Casey , greater Dandenong and Cardinia

Anywhere in victoria where people boast about their cash assets, frequent cafe's to boast about such assets, then move interstate to be big fish in small ponds.

Anyone mentioning Werribee or Hoppers is a genuine goose. I've lived all around Melbourne that being east, north and west. Northern suburbs were definitely uncomfortable but I felt the most unsafe in the east. I currently live in Werribee and have never felt more at home, place is convenient, quieter being borderline regional and the people are actually quite nice and humble. We are a stones throw from Geelong and Melbourne and surrounded by beaches too, got the Werribee Open Zoo and the mansion too. Heaps of stuff to do and it's a nice place to live, kinda sick of people stigmatising the west when the east has higher crime rates and the people are 110% snobbier.

@konaelectric

Here you are talking bad on the west but in the same paragraph talking up how good Frankston is. Don't know if you are serious or not, the crime there is ridiculous. Werribee, Hoppers etc are great places to live, never felt unsafe once.

In melbourne i would avoid parramatta.cottelso,bribie island,Devonport

From what I have noticed, crime happens in every single suburb, now Danenong isn't as bad as people make it out to be and as a resident living here for 20 years and when catching public transport at night I haven't been harassed or the result of some crime while waiting for the bus. But I wouldn't recommend walking to the train station at 4 in the morning for the first train and that in 20 years was the only time I was mugged. This happened when I was on my way to work, unfortunately my car was not working. In a 20 year period I think that would have to have been the worst thing ever but I haven't been through anything else since.
The most that happens now is people shoplifting, selling drugs and domestic violence. Those crimes happen everywhere, no matter what suburb you live in

There shouldn’t any Suburb to mention to be the worst suburbs because anywhere you live there’s a crime. Even Brighton or Glen Iris have heaps of burglary crime. You should check the area based on your needs and accessibility.

Melbourne CBD is currently on a red zone with worst crime rate. Cranbourne have improved in the last 5years due to expansion and newer estates and same with Frankston. If you’ve noticed, some people mentioned suburbs assuming it’s worst but not- most of them got the last train station. Check the crimestatistic website for your reference.

Let me know when a grown man with a balaclava runs behind you and sticks a very sharp knife to your throat, then if you scream, he will kill you. Now tell me that Dandenong is safe!

Richmond worst place in Australia drugs everywhere and very dirty and smells lived there for 20 years thank god I got out

Popular questions in the Melbourne (Greater) Region, VIC

Pizza recommendations - Doncaster/Templestowe?

Best coffee in Melbourne?

I need an honest opinion is Melton a rough place to live or is it family friendly?

Any secret parking areas at the new Doncaster Shoppingtown?

Weather in Melbourne - is it as bad as they say during the year?

Unanswered topics and threads about the Melbourne (Greater) Region, VIC

Is Epping a good place to buy for a family?

what areas of Macleod are "unsafe" or less "desirable" to buy

where is Bertram Street, Cander Green Lane, in Elsternwick

What is the reputation and general understanding of Buckley Park College? Is it an okay school?

Which are the top 20 suburbs in Melbourbne