Worst suburbs in Melbourne?

I have some friends looking to relocate from overseas and they asked what suburbs they should avoid. I said we really don't have ghettos like they might in parts of the USA, that most suburbs are safe compared to overseas.

Any places you would avoid?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of Homely.com.au.
10 people following
this discussion

6 Comments

jotoma 2yrs+
Not sure why but Dandenong always seems to get a mention. High unemployment, high crime.
PureKrome 2yrs+
First thought -> western suburbs I'd def avoid.

- St Albans
- Keilor Downs
- Taylors Lakes
- Hoppers Crossing
- Werribee

Switching to the south east...
- Frankstone
- Frankstone South
- Cranbourne....

also .. any places at the end of the train lines, IMO.
KasiaB 2yrs+
Frankston* ;) its not that bad up the hill ... Just don't go to the shops or train station
Peter McDonald Aug 05, 2018
Northern suburbs try to avoid:
Heidelberg Heights, Heidelberg West, Reservoir, Preston, Richmond, Glenroy, Broadmedows
dankestb Aug 07, 2018
St Kilda
ss4 Aug 24, 2018
I live in Caroline Springs.. We have had issues of late, and have been in the news a bit Unfortunately, but really it's a beautiful suburb. The trouble we've had here has been from teens from other suburbs meeting around here. And because the media caught onto it a few times, they have targeted it.. crime is happening in so many other suburbs as well but the attention is on us at the moment.
Caroline Springs has beautiful parks and lakes and gathering places. A number of amazing restaurants, gyms, high rise apartments and a shopping centre that's growing as we speak. The houses are lovely and the council do a great job keeping looking lush and clean. I would certainly recommend it for families. The schools in the area are fabulous and there are quite a few to choose from. Churches of all kinds. I think it's very multicultural and accepting. A little bit pricey but definitely worth it.